Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

Labor Day weekend was my weekend to play. It's been over a week since my chemo, so I'm having fun with friends and family. I really enjoyed seeing many faces whom I haven't seen in quite some time.

P1010930
P1010931
P1010932
Derrick, Kathy, Traci, Kristen, and Angel went out to dinner with us on Friday night at the Lazy Dog Cafe in Torrance. After dinner, we visited Auntie Mary. What a nice surprise it was to see Mimi there too!
P1010933

P1010934
On Saturday, we decided to go for a ride to the Sawdust Art Festival in Laguna Beach. We had perfect weather, the sun was out, and a small ocean breeze kept us cool and comfortable.

P1010937
We also wanted to check out the international street fair in the City of Orange. Hank was quite excited to find a store with old records. 33's and 45's, remember those anyone? Or am I dating myself?

P1010938
Later that evening, Anthony, Derek, and Shane came by to visit. Thanks for the beautiful roses, Missy!

P1010940
P1010941
After church on Sunday, our group found a new place to hang out for lunch in Brea. Did you know that TGIFridays have half price appetizers on Sundays? What a yummy deal that was. Is anyone game for some more sliders?

P1010943
Tiffany and Scotty wanted to show us their toys. We had time to play a few games and eat ice cream too!

P1010956
P1010944
After our visit with Ada's family, we were off to celebrate Mikayla's first birthday. You are such a beautiful, sweet baby!!! I'm so glad I was able to carry you!!! Great job, Darlene and Billy!
P1010951
Kristen and Sammi enjoyed reminiscing the good ol' days of childhood. Or are they still living it?!?!? Hmmmmm, it's hard to say with teenagers.
P1010957
P1010954
There were a few familiar faces too (Dave with Caleb, Lisa with Noelle). We had a wonderful time. There were so many babies, all over the place. The baby relay race was sooooooo much fun to watch! Did you know that I love babies?!?!?

P1010960
P1010961
After a small nap, we were ready for some more food. Can you believe it? We met up with a few more friends in Cerritos (Heartley, Frances, Lori, Breanna, Brian, and Benny). Some of the local restaurants were giving out free samples of their food. It was quite yummy, and filling too.

P1010962
As a perfect ending to a perfect day, we were able to meet up with Lydia on Sunday night. It was really great seeing her again, even though it was a brief visit. Monday, Labor Day itself, was an uneventful day. We had lots of chores to do, but most of all, we needed the rest. It's pretty exhausting to have so much fun, but someone has to do it! ;-)

For me, summer has come and gone by so fast this year. Partially, I think it's because of all the doctor appointments, the cancer treatments, and of course, our fantastic vacation. Stevie has started going to El Camino College last Monday, August 25, 2008. Sammi will be a sophomore at North High School, starting Thursday, September 4, 2008. We miss summer already. We had a few challenges, but we manage to have a ton of fun. They are both excited to see their friends, and to make new ones, as they build their young minds.

I need to work on my mind too. After all, I've been Mental-Pausing for twenty plus years now, I suffer from CRS (can't remember s.... stuff!), and now I have Chemo Brain to add to this list!!! Scary, huh? Sadly, I don't have to work too hard to maintain my KooKoo reputation. I enjoy hanging out with babies. They are so full of life, energy, and there's never a dull moment. Is there anyone who needs a few hours of babysitting in Torrance?!?!?!? I also get my "fix" when I help out in the church nursery at Ambassador Church (relocated now in Brea). It helps God's kingdom to grow (one baby at a time), but I also benefit from it too. It's a win/win situation. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

God has so many wonderful plans for each of us. He knows exactly what we need, and when we need it. He is the ultimate healer. He sends people (as our personal angels) to help us and to encourage us through our walk on Earth. I'm so fortunate to be one of his chosen children for his majestic kingdom. Someday, we will all meet our maker, but for me, I hope that won't be for at least another 50 years. I'm having way too much fun down here! ;-)

No comments: