Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chemo #4

On September 4, 2008, I was happy to have my hubby, Hank, with me for the first time during chemo. He was finally able to get some time off this month. Dr. David Chan changed my chemo to a new drug, in hopes to get rid of my rash and heartburn. It was great that this session only took 2 hours this time. I had 3 large syringes of bright red clear liquid shot into my IV! It looked like red Kool-Aid. It's a really strong drug called, Ellence or Epirubicin. It was so strong that I got sick to the stomach this time. Ugh!!! With the help of more steroids, I had semi-clear skin for about a week. Unfortunately, when the drugs ran out, my rash came back. I really don't have "good days" and "bad days". It seems to change from hour to hour for me. Fortunately, I've managed to have some kookoo fun when I can, in between those blah moments.

P1000006
Uncle Angel surprised us with a special pork chop dinner. A very yummy home cooked meal! He even cleaned my kitchen! Wow, Angel, you'll be a great catch someday for one lucky lady!!!

P1000007
Auntie June came over with a delicious pot of her homemade beef stew. We've been eating some really great food lately! Thank you!!!

P1000026
P1000035
On Saturday, September 6, our family celebrated Mom and Dad's 50th wedding anniversary. Sadly, Dad is still in the hospital, and wasn't able to make it to dinner. Their actual wedding day is on September 8, which happens to be my birthday too! Did they plan that perfect, or what?!?!?! We also celebrated Ken and Baldwin's birthdays this evening.

DSC05092
DSC05097
DSC05101
DSC05107
DSC05111
DSC05110
On Sunday night, Derrick, Kathy, Traci, Darren, Kristen, Angel, James, and my family took me out to dinner at King's Hawaiian Restaurant. King's is known for their special island style foods and desserts. After a huge dinner, with appetizers, can you believe we had two cakes too? They didn't have to twist my arm very hard at all. We had Paradise and Strawberry Guava cakes. Yummy!!! I still can't believe we went though 3 full pitchers of fruit punch refills! Wanda, Lauren, and Ryann surprised us with their company too. I love getting all of those holy hugs and kisses from everyone! Yeah me!!! xoxoxoxoxo

P1000037
On Monday morning of September 8, the American Cancer Society sponsored a special event for cancer patients called, "Look Good...Feel Better." A few of my friends from the Wellness Community went with me. Here I am with Lourdes, Joann, and Jill. We learned a few tips from them, like how to avoid infections with manicures/pedicures, or how to tie scarves on our heads, or how to convert an ordinary T-shirt into a comfortable turban wrap. Each of us received free make up kits with lessons on how to apply it too. We look pretty good, don't you think?

P1000039
Here I am with Kristin, Joneth, and Sammi. Ada and Mom came over with a ton of groceries. My cupboards are overflowing now! Thanks for helping me clean up a bit around here. We really needed it.

P1000046
P1000049
P1000045
This week, our women's group picked up our dinners from Wholesome Choice in Irvine, and went over to Donna's house to enjoy it together. Brady, Tanner, and I got to celebrate our birthdays again! In support of cancer, everyone surprised me by wearing their special hats this evening. Brady, myself, Tiffany (behind me), Donna, Kathy, Karen, Grace, and Lori (not pictured). I'm so moved by their love and support! Brady, I really love your Ying and Yang hat!!!

p1000050
Sammi, Mimoe, and myself relaxing after our delicious homemade enchiladas with Spanish rice dinner. Thank you so much, Auntie Donna!!!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 - Seven years ago today, our world changed forever. Over 3,000 innocent lives were lost in the hands of terrorists. We pray to our Lord to make sense of the devastation. He has a plan, but we may not understand it until we are in His presence. Something good arises from the darkest of times, our nation unites together in reflection and remembrance, year after year! There is strength and comfort in numbers. Our freedom reigns! I'm proud to be an American. God bless the USA!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Berda!
I am so sorry I never got back to you with the name of that tea. It is "Kombucha." I never googled it but I am going to after I send this off. I have been reading your blog and I admire your strength and great attitude as you fight this cancer. You always have a genuine smile on your face. I apologize for not writing sooner. Right after we talked that Sunday that following week the doctor found a cystic mass on my ovary. The oncologist had to look at it and I just had surgery this past Friday. Everything is fine and now I am healing up. But, it was a very scary time and I thought a lot about life these past couple of weeks. I was frightend and thinking "what if..." thoughts. I started repeating Philippians 4:8 to myself. I would filter every thought through each one of those words in the verse and it helped me to redirect my thoughts and strengthen me. I hope it doesn't sound like I am telling you what to do, because that is the furthest thing from my heart. I just wanted to share what helped me when I was feeling scared. We pray for you every night and I also pray for you throughout my day. I will now also pray for your rash and heartburn. I'm sorry the chemo is making you sick and I hope now you are feeling better and stronger. It is so great that you are surrounded by so many people who love you and are "fighting" cancer with you! I hope to see you soon. Love,Jessica Volkmer