Friday, July 11, 2008

The Wellness Community, South Bay Cities

P1000404
Earlier this morning, I was able to attend an introduction / luncheon at The Wellness Community located in Redondo Beach. It's a wonderful support group for cancer patients and their caregivers. It's solely run and funded by volunteers and donations. I'd heard great things about this place from Mimi Wong, Jackie (Wanda's neighbor who's a volunteer there), and from my oncologist, Doctor David Chan. Oh, I forgot to mention it earlier that my doctor has my DAD's name!!! Too funny, huh? God sent him to tell me about my breast cancer diagnosis. It was still hard to believe that he was talking about me, but his gentle, caring voice made it easier. Here's a picture of us, taken the day before my haircut.

P1000331
The old me with Dr. David Chan

As far as my chemo goes, my only side effect so far are my swollen jaws. I'm having a hard time eating, and even talking (kinda, sorta, not really). Childhood memories of the mumps comes back to haunt me. We went out for dinner, but I was only able to eat mashed potatoes with gravy. It was quite yummy!

P1000388

After dinner, we took a walk down to the pier to take a few pictures. I was very excited to point out The Wellness Community building to everyone (deja vu). Here's what I got from my camera.

P1000389

P1000395

P1000392

P1000398

The pier was a nice way to walk off some of our dinner. The smell of seafood filled the air. Thoughts of New England clam chowder and fried clam strips danced around in my head. I found myself craving for some... but,... oh well, not today! We will be back when I'm able to chew again, I'm sure of it.

No comments: