Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Oops, where's my hair?

Wednesday night, July 23, 2008, while we were still on the cruise, my hair started to fall out. It was only 13 short days after my first chemo, and it was falling fast!!!

Here's one of my first hair loss pictures:
p1010557

In fact, 98% of my hair came out within 3 days! By Saturday night, my hair was MIA! Each time I went to wash my hair, I came out of the shower with a whole lot less. Although he was pre-warned, our cabin steward, Ben, was still shocked to see all the hair in the trash can. It was a good thing the ship had the 5K run that Sunday. I really needed another hat!!!

Being back at home now, I had decided to shop for a wig. So, I went over to Del Amo Fashion Wigs here in Torrance by the mall. This place was highly recommended by Dr. David Chan's office. Now I know why. I met with the owner, Young Rhee. She is very sweet and kind. She offered to give me a buzz cut, an offer I couldn't refuse!

Here are a few of my "before" pictures:
2008-08-01 029
2008-08-01 034
Looking pretty skimpy, huh?

2008-08-01 038
Young, and her helper Rosie, are so compassionate to helping people with cancer. She has an open offer to any cancer patients for a free buzz. I'm really happy with my new hairless-doo! It's so much cooler, and so liberating! What do you think?

2008-08-01 108
Uncle Angel and I now have something else in common! But, I outshine him for now. Boy, I need a tan up there!!! With my naturally thick hair, my scalp has never seen the light of day! Scary! Just like Uncle Fester, huh? I'm perfectly comfortable walking around bald, so I can tan it a bit, but I'll wear hats and scarves for the sake of others around me. I guess I'll have to start wearing some makeup more often too. After all, I don't want anyone to mistaken me for a man! But, I'm very happy being a WO-MAN!!!!!

1 comment:

Mike H said...

Hi Auntie Berda,

We Love You and You Are Looking Marvelous! It's always so good to see you and we hope you finally got your head tan to match the rest of your skin ;-) Special present coming in the mail soon too...
Love Maria and Mike