Wednesday, November 12, 2008

SF gang comes to LA!!!

Last week, I had caught the flu. In my weakened condition from the chemo, it settled into my lungs right away (bronchitis again). I also had a semi "black out" moment when I got up too fast last Thursday. My doctor said that my blood pressure was quite low again. Fortunately, I had been on a few days of antibiotics when my friends came into town on Friday, November 7, 2008. It's been many years since I've seen them. With every one's hectic schedules, the years just slipped away. When they heard of my health issues, they'd decided to come down to LA to visit me. Of course, we had to call for a Lemon Butter Club "meeting" at Pechanga. We now have three new members! Angel, Kathy, Derrick, James, Hank, and myself were there to welcome Robert, Vince, and Loreen in to the club!!! We can't wait for you to meet some of our current members!!!
p1000903
p1000906
P1000907
P1000908
3022650950_b3a52f9cfb_m
Those king crab legs sure looked good. This was my first LBC meeting where I was not able to eat any of them. I didn't want to "test" my body, and the medicines that I'm taking for my rash and hives. Don't pity me, because I really enjoyed those prime rib bones!!! Yummy!!! Besides, we can call for another meeting next year, right?!?!? (hint hint hint)

P1000912
p1000910
We're really glad that Kerwin was able to come down to join us. Here's Vince and Loreen with their Lucky Boat from Tokyo Lobby, San Gabriel.

P1000913
P1000914
Can you see the differences between these two pictures?

3022699662_4b4d74da1e_m
After dinner, we took a drive to Downtown Disney. We walked around the shops, listened to the salsa music as some folks danced, and of course we had to have coffee and dessert! We'd gobbled up some of their famous beignets (pronounced ben-yays). Deep fried dough with a ton of powdered sugar... dangerously delicious when hot out of the oil!!! Gotta try some! Just don't tell our doctors, ok? ;-)

On Sunday morning and early afternoon, the gang ran around all over LA, so I was able to get some rest. After much discussion, we ended up eating an early dinner at Bruddah's in Gardena. They serve traditional Hawaiian foods, and we were not disappointed with our selections. Afterwards, we went back to my house. They played some poker, while some of us talked and looked through some old photo albums. Did we really change that much?!?!? Well, I, for one, had a lot more hair back then!!!

P1000920
P1000921
P1000922
This weekend, Vince and Loreen were the king and the queen of Roscoe's House of Chicken N Waffles. Can you believe they ate there four times out of the four days they were here? They ate there twice in Long Beach, and once each in Pasadena and Hollywood. This was my first experience as well, so I'm glad we were able to join them in Hollywood. Lauren and Ryann, would you like to try some fried gizzards and liver?!?!? Yummy giblets!!!

To walk off our lunch, we hit the streets of LA Chinatown, searching for bargains and treasures for the little girls. Sadly, our time flew by, and our friends had to catch their planes to go home to their families. We've committed to stay in touch, and to visit each other again in the near future. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the gang. Perhaps next year we can visit SF... after my many surgeries, where they'll make me bigger, better, faster... well, maybe not faster. I am looking forward to be cancer free, and it'll be a big bonus if I can come out perkier too! ;-D ha ha ha

We all go through trials and tribulations, but I see that God has truly been good to us over the years. We all have so much to be grateful for. As we reminisce, we can see how God has worked so many of his miracles into our lives. He places people in our lives, just when we need them most. People come and go over the years, but the time and the love they've shared, will stay with us for a lifetime. Thank you for coming to visit me. I truly cherish our friendships over the past few decades!!! In my eyes, we all still look exactly the same as when we first met!!! But, then again, I do suffer from chemo brain! ha ha ha!

1 comment:

Angel said...

It was a great EATFEST weekend! You have some awesome friends in Robert, Vince, Loreen and Kerwin! Glad to have met them.
Yes, another Lemon Butter Club meeting can be called. Now we have a Northern CAlifornia chapter! Woohoo!